Translate

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

DIALOGUE IS GOOD, BUT NOT AN IDOL OR OUR GOD---I HOPE POPE FRANCIS REALIZES THIS AS HE INFAMOUSLY ENCOURAGED RISKING TO MAKE A MESS IN THE CHURCH

In new book, Francis calls honest interviews a 'pastoral risk' to create church of dialogue

by Joshua J. McElwee
Vatican

Rome — Pope Francis says in a new book that he chooses to give interviews and to speak freely in press conferences as part of his desire to create a Catholic Church that understands how to dialogue with the people of today.

The pontiff adds that while he knows giving such interviews entails the possibility of being misinterpreted he wants to run that "pastoral risk" in order to have direct communication with people.

Referring to the Gospel story of Jesus after his death appearing to two disciples walking together, Francis says the church of dialogue is "the church of Emmaus, in which the Lord 'interviews' the disciples who are walking discouraged."

"I desire a church that knows how to insert itself into the conversations of people, that knows how to dialogue," states the pope, writing in a preface for a new collection of eight of the interviews and public dialogues he has given since his March 2013 election as pontiff.

"For me, the interview is part of this conversation of the church with the people of today," he says.

The collection, to be released in Italy Oct. 19, carries the title Adesso fate le vostre domande ("Now, ask your questions") and was edited by Jesuit Fr. Antonio Spadaro, a papal confidant and editor of the Italian Jesuit magazine La Civiltà Cattolica. Excerpts from Francis' preface to the volume were printed Oct. 17 by the Italian daily La Repubblica.

Francis says in the preface that during his press conferences on papal flights he likes "to look into the eyes of the person [asking questions] and respond to the questions with sincerity."

"I know that I have to be prudent, and I hope to be so," the pope states. "I always pray to the Holy Spirit before I start listening to the questions and answering. And as I must not lose prudence, I must also not lose trust. I know that this can make me vulnerable, but it's a risk that I want to run."

The pontiff says the interviews have a "pastoral value" akin to the daily homilies he gives at the Masses he celebrates on weekdays at the chapel in the Vatican's Casa Santa Marta guesthouse, where he lives.


"It is a way of communicating my ministry," says Francis. "And I tie these conversations in the interviews with the daily homilies in Santa Marta, which is -- let's say it like this -- my 'parish.'"

"I need to have this communication with people," states the pope. "I have a true need of this direct communication with people. Giving an interview ... means having an encounter with journalists who often ask you questions taken from the people."

"One thing I like is speaking with small newspapers," he continues. "I feel even more at ease. In fact, in those cases I truly hear the questions and the worries of the common people. I seek to respond in a spontaneous way, in a conversation that I want to be comprehensible, not [made up of] rigid formulas."

"I also use simple, popular language," Francis explains. "For me, interviews are a dialog, not a lecture. For this reason I do not prepare."

"Sometimes I receive the questions in advance but I almost never read or think over them," he states. "Other times, in the plane press conferences, I imagine the questions they might ask me. But to respond I need to encounter the people and look into their eyes."

"Yes, I have a fear of being poorly interpreted," says the pontiff. "But, I repeat, I want to run this pastoral risk."

Adesso fate le vostre domande is being published by Rizzoli, a publishing house based in Milan. The eight interviews and dialogues it collects include Francis' 2013 interview with Spadaro, his 2016 interview with Polish Jesuit Fr. Ulf Jonsson, and conversations he had in 2015 and 2016 with the Philippine and Polish Jesuits during papal trips to their countries.

[Joshua J. McElwee is NCR Vatican correspondent.

10 comments:

TJM said...

Santita either confuses or infuriates me. Even in Paul Vi's worst days, I don't recall him doing that.

Mark Thomas said...

Prior to my having read Pope Francis' actual declarations, I would get caught up in the right-wing, left-wing frenzies that followed Pope Francis' interviews and press conferences.

Example: The "Who am I to judge him" controversy.

The right-wing and left-wing, Catholic and secular, misrepresented Pope Franics' declaration in question. Pope Francis stated clearly that a homosexual who had sought the Lord, confessed his sin, then reformed his life, had been forgiven of his sin.

But having believed the initial right-wing and left-wing fake news reports related to "Who am I to judge him," I had thought: "Please Holy Father, stop granting press conferences...you need to be more circumspect in regard to your public comments."

Today, I am aware that the following is a given: Catholic and secular right-wing, as well as left-wing, forces will misrepresent Pope Francis' words and actions. Said forces will spin Pope Francis as they please.

But when one gets past the fake news headlines and commentaries, then one encounters Pope Francis' actual words/actions. That is when it becomes obvious that the real Pope Francis is a holy, humble, orthodox man of God.

How much of a "risk" does Pope Francis take via interviews and press conferences? Well, even if he did not engage in interviews and press conferences, Catholic and secular right-wing and left-wing forces would spin Pope Francis to advance their respective agendas.

One way or another, the right-wing and left-wing will misrepresent His Holiness Pope Francis.

However, as long as we move beyond the right/left-wing headlines and commentaries in regard to Pope Francis, we will encounter his actual words/actions. It is then that we will discern that the "real" Pope Francis is a solid Catholic.

Therefore, I hope that Pope Francis will continue his public dialogue with his subjects.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

John Nolan said...

He spends too much time talking to Jesuits whose orthodoxy is dubious. Spadaro's latest: 'It is no longer possible to judge people on the basis of a norm which stands above all' Wow. For these and other gems of left-wing double-speak, see the critique of the recent Boston College 'workshop' on AL by Fr Gerald Murray (quoted by Fr Z).

rcg said...

Can you imagine how surprised The Almighty was to read that? I think my mistake has been in trying to understand the Holy Father’s style as a Socratic method. Maybe I should apply Carlos Casteneda.

TJM said...

John Nolan,

Whatever is Spadaro trying to say? It makes no sense - just a bunch of gibberish

rcg said...

TJM, it seems to be saying that there is now a court of appeal even for final judgement.

Carol H. said...

Does Spadaro honestly think that the bar for the norm is set so high that no one can possibly achieve it? Wow! Hasn't he ever learned that we can nothing by ourselves, but with the help of God's grace all things are possible? Where is his faith?

TJM said...

Carol,

He likely has no Faith. He's a glorified social worker masquerading as a priest

John Nolan said...

Spadaro could simply be ignored as just another modern Jesuit talking gibberish, were it not for the fact that he is a close confidant of Pope Francis, and a key member of his 'kitchen Cabinet'.

TJM said...

John Nolan,

It doesn't surpriseme that Santita hangs around simpletons like Spadaro. Francis isn't in the same league intellectually with either John Paul II or Benedict XVI. Cue 1, 2, 3 for Uber Ultramontanist!